Origins and Lineage
1st Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders (North)
The Battalion originated on April 6, 1871 and incorporates the following Regiments:
Organized on April 6, 1871 as the Colchester and Hants Provisional Battalion of Infantry, from five independent companies. It was redesignated The 78th Colchester and Hants, or Highlanders Battalions of Infantry on September 1, 1871; The 78th 'Colchester, Hants, and Pictou', Battalion of Infantry or 'Highlanders' on September 5, 1879; The 78th Colchester, Hants, and Pictou Regiment 'Highlanders' on May 8, 1900; The 78th Pictou Regiment on April 1, 1920; The Pictou Highlanders on July 2, 1920 and the Pictou Highlanders (Motor) on April 1,1946. On October 1, 1954 it was amalgamated with The North Nova Scotia Highlanders and The 189th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery (authorized April 1, 1946) to form the 1st Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders. The unit was redesignated 1st Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders (North) on June 21, 1956.
Organized on April 6, 1871 as The Cumberland Provisional Battalion of Infantry from four independent companies. It was redesignated The 93rd Cumberland Battalion of Infantry on June 12, 1885; The 93rd Cumberland Regiment on May 8, 1900; The Cumberland Regiment on April 1, 1920 and The Cumberland Highlanders on June 15, 1927. On December 1, 1936 it was amalgamated with The Colchester and Hants Regiment (less C Company) and C Company, 6th Machine Gun Battalion, CMCG, Highlanders (MG). It was designated The North Nova Scotia Highlanders on March 7, 1941. On October 1, 1954 it was amalgamated with The Pictou Highlanders (Motor) and The 189th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery to form The 1st Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders as shown above.
The 78th Colchester and Hants Rifles (authorized on April 1, 1910 as The 70th Colchester and Hants Regiment and The 81st "Hants" Regiment on May 1, 1914). The two Regiments were amalgamated on April 1, 1920 to form The Colchester and Hants Regiment. On December 1, 1936 the Regiment (less C Company) was amalgamated with The Cumberland Highlanders and C Company, 6th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC, to form the North Nova Scotia Highlanders (MG) as shown above.
On September 1, 1939 details of The North Nova Scotia Highlanders (MG) were also placed on active service for local protective duty. The pace of events was rapid for The Nova Scotia Highlanders, CASF and embarked for the United Kingdom on July 21st of the next year. Here almost three years were to pass in the training camps before they were to see action. This period of inactivity was soon made up for with the landing at Normandy on June 6, 1944 and the subsequent thrust to the heart of Europe. Here it served as a unit of the 9th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. Its mission completed, and with Europe once more secure, the active unit was disbanded on January 15, 1946. While the 1st Battalion served on active duty, a 2nd Battalion was raised in the Reserve Army. A 3rd Battalion was mobilized on June 1, 1945 for service in the Canadian Army Occupation Force but was soon disbanded on May 1st and the following year.
The Regiment experienced many role changes and amalgamations in the later years until on June 21, 1955 it gained its current designation of 1st Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders (North).
The 2nd Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders (Cape Breton) is still fondly referred to as the Cape Breton Highlanders in many circles. On October 13, 1871 four independent companies were combined to form The Victoria Provisional Battalion of Infantry. In keeping with the flavour of the region it was redesignated The Victoria 'Highland' Provisional Battalion of Infantry on December 12, 1879 and then The Victoria Provisional Battalion of Infantry 'Argyll Highlanders' on April 9, 1880. Later amendments resulted in The 94th Victoria Regiment 'Argyll Highlanders' on May 8, 1900; The Cape Breton Highlanders on April 1, 1920; The 2nd Battalion, The Nova Scotia Highlanders on September 15, 1954, and finally the current title on June 21, 1955.